Baby Corn Recipe - What do we all love at parties and weddings? Starters, isn’t it?
So let’s make party-like starters at home now. Follow this step-by-step guide to making baby corn recipes.
ABOUT BABY CORN
An ideal appetizer or a party starter recipe made with tender baby corn in a chilli sauce. It is a simple and easy Indo-Chinese street food recipe that inherits the recipe from the popular chilli paneer. The dish can satisfy those hunger pangs but still leave enough room for a full main course.
More Similar Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR BABY CORN CHILLY
For frying baby corn:
- 3 cup water
- 9 baby corn (chopped)
- ½ cup maida / plain flour
- ¼ cup cornflour
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp pepper (crushed)
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- oil for frying
For cornflower slurry:
- 1 tsp cornflower
- ¼ cup water
- other ingredients:
- 3 tsp oil
- 2 green chilli (slit)
- 1-inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 3 clove (finely chopped)
- 4 tbsp spring onion (finely chopped)
- ½ onion (petals)
- ½ capsicum (cubed)
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp pepper (crushed)
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS FOR BABY CORN CHILLY
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a large Kadai heat. Saute 2 green chillies, 1-inch ginger and 3 cloves of garlic on high flame.
- Also, saute 2 tbsp spring onion slightly.
- Now add ½ onion, ½ capsicum and saute on high flame till the onion turns transparent.
- Additionally add 2 tbsp tomato sauce, 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tbsp soy sauce, ¼ tsp pepper, ¼ tsp sugar and ¼ tsp salt.
- Mix well and saute for a minute till it gets aromatic.
- Prepare cornflour slurry by mixing 1 tsp of cornflour in ¼ cup of water. Keep stirring continuously to avoid the formation of lumps. Add this cornflour slurry to the gravy.
- Give a good mix until the gravy slightly thickens and turns translucent.
- Toss the fried baby corn in this gravy. Add 2 tbsp of spring onion.
- Mix gently making sure the sauce has coated all the baby corn pieces uniformly.
- Finally, transfer chilli baby corn to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped spring onions green. Serve hot!
Baby corn chilly can be a good appetizer served along with a generous garnishing of spring onion greens. It can alternatively also be served with fried rice. The mildly spicy taste of baby corn chilly blends perfectly with fried rice. Don’t forget to store them in a Casserole Set that comes insulated stainless steel specially designed to serve all your favorite dishes warm and fresh everyday.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHILLY GARLIC BABY CORN
- 250 gm baby corn
- 2–3 cups of water
- 2 tbsp cornflour/corn starch
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour or maida
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 2–3 cup oil for frying
- 1 tbsp Virgin Cold-pressed Sesame Oil (for the chilli garlic sauce)
- 5–6 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 tsp Soya Sauce
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Sweet Chilli Garlic Sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHILLY GARLIC BABY CORN
- First, boil the baby corns for 5 minutes so that they cook and become softer.
- Then, in a mixing bowl add cornflour, maida, salt, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp black pepper powder and mix well. Add some water to form a paste of medium-thick consistency.
- Next, coat the baby corns in the paste evenly and fry them until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, add 1 tbsp sesame oil and sauté crushed garlic. Add soy sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup and mix well.
- Add salt, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp black pepper powder and mix.
- Lastly, add crispy fried baby corns in the chilli garlic sauce and coat well. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Finally, sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top and serve freshly prepared Chilli Garlic Baby Corn.
INGREDIENTS FOR BABY CORN FRY
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin (or jeera)
- 1 tsp ginger grated (or ginger garlic paste)
- 4 cup onions thinly sliced
- 100 grams baby corn or 1 heaped cup
- ½ cup bell peppers or carrots, cubed
- Salt as needed
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 sprig curry leaves or coriander leaves or methi or palak chopped finely
- ½ tsp peppercorn or garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp saunf/fennel seeds (optional)
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS FOR BABY CORN FRY
- Wash baby corn and trim off the edges. Chop them to desired sizes, thin slices or wedges or diagonally cut chunks will cook faster. For sandwich and Kathi roll filling, chop to small bites.
- You can also boil them in 2 cups of water first until tender and use. We prefer the crunchy baby corn, so I don't parboil them.
- Add oil to a pan and heat it. Add cumin, when they begin to splutter add freshly grated ginger or ginger garlic paste. Fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add onions and fry till transparent.
- Add baby corn and capsicum, salt and turmeric, fry for a minute.
- Cover and cook on a low flame till the baby corn are cooked. If needed sprinkle some water, cover and cook.
- If using garam masala skip this step. While the baby corn cooks, powder saunt and peppercorn.
- When the baby corn is cooked, add curry leaves, ground powder.
- Fry for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. When you begin to smell the spices good, switch off the flame.
- Serve with baby corn fry with rice and tomato rasam or with roti.
These are just some of the varieties of baby corn recipes. A perfect start to your perfect party! You can always explore more variations of the recipe.