Methi Matar Malai Recipe Charm your meal with this mild and creamy North Indian curry. A nutritious sweet and creamy Punjabi delicacy that is not just delicious but includes the health benefits of fenugreek.
ABOUT METHI MATAR MASALA
A combination of mildly sweet, spicy and mild bitterness in each serving, it is a curry that is served with a choice of Indian flatbread like roti and chapati but can also be served with a combination of garlic naan and jeera rice. Instead of the usual spice punch with loads of red chilli and other hot spices, this curry belongs to the category of succulent-sumptuous curries. Additionally, it is known for its light creamy colour without the addition of turmeric and red chilli powder. The interplay of different tastes which do not overpower each other is the speciality of methi matar malai curry. The most complex part of the recipe is getting rid of most of the bitterness from the fenugreek. The finished dish should keep a hint of bitterness to balance out the sweetness of the peas, cream and spices, but not enough to overpower it.
More Similar Recipe
Preparation For Methi Matar Malai Recipe
Do not forget to clean the fenugreek leaves thoroughly as they contain dirt and insects before finely chopping them.
for masala paste:
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 onion (slice)
- 2 chilli (slit)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ cup cashew / Kaju (soaked)
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera
- 2 cup fenugreek/methi (finely chopped)
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cream
- 1 cup peas / matar
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- In a large Kadai heat 3 tsp oil and splutter 1 tsp cumin.
- Further, add the prepared masala paste and saute well.
- Saute until the oil is separated from the sides.
- Add in 2 cups of fenugreek and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in 1 cup water and ½ cup cream.
- Mix well making sure the cream is well combined.
- Add in 1 cup peas, ½ tsp sugar and ¾ tsp salt.
- Mix well, cover and boil for 8-10 minutes or until the peas are cooked well.
- The curry turns creamy, adjust the consistency as required.
- Now add ¼ tsp garam masala and mix well and let it heat for a while.
Finally, enjoy methi matar malai with roti or paratha or naan!